Wednesday, November 07, 2007

OH BROTHER

Three days later my brother calls.

ME: Hello
BROTHER: Is everything alright?
ME: I told Dad.
BROTHER: Yeah, you told him. Well is everything alright?
ME: Yes, okay.
BROTHER: Listen when are you coming home?
ME: What do you mean?
BROTHER: You know coming home.
ME: Wait a second. Did you decide when you're coming here? I've been holding off...
BROTHER: I'm not. I told Dad that you had invited me... all of us to come down for a visit. I'm not going to do it.
ME: Oh okay.
BROTHER: So when are you coming home?
ME: December for about...
BROTHER: Do you need some help?
ME: What do you mean? Did Dad say something to you?
BROTHER: Moving.
ME: What. I haven't decided...
BROTHER: Aren't you moving home?
ME: No. I'm not moving home.
BROTHER: Oh. You're not. Do you have a job?
ME: No.
BROTHER: What are you going to do there?
ME: I told you. I don't know yet. Listen, Dad told me you're getting married.
BROTHER: What are you talking about? He didn't tell you that.
ME: Yes. He did. He told me you're getting married.
BROTHER: He never said any such thing.
ME: Yes. He told me you were getting married.
BROTHER: I don't believe he told you that.
ME: What exactly would I get for making this up? What's the point?
BROTHER: I'm not getting married.
ME: Well, maybe Dad just misunderstood.
BROTHER: Maybe... I don't think so. Are you alright?
ME: Yes, did Dad say something else to you?
BROTHER: He's just concerned. You better get a job.

They're both concerned.

I feel like I can't breathe.

No comments: